Saturday, July 3, 2021

Sexualization, stereotypes and shame: A biracial Winnipeg teen reflects on the world she’s grown up in

This first-person article is the experience of KC Lee, an Asian Indigenous Winnipeg teenager and lawyer. For more information on CBC’s first-person stories, see the FAQ.

A UK study carried out for UN Women in 2021 found that 71 percent of women surveyed said they had experienced sexual harassment in public. For women aged 18 to 24, the number is even higher – up to 97 percent.

This led to a movement of young women who shared their personal experiences on their platforms and shared the hashtag # 97percent and received more than 21 million views.

As a rather small, young-looking person, I have my share in the infantilization, which unfortunately opens the door to sexualization. I have also been a victim of sexual harassment in personal and public spaces.

I’m in the 97 percent, and with such a high number I wonder who else suffered around me. 97 percent are not only such a considerable number of young women, but that almost guarantees that you know someone who has been through this.

Since my family is more Asian and Indigenous than me, I am concerned about their safety.

We are told to be careful what we wear because boys become boys.– KC Lee

With a perceived increase in violent crime against the Asian community, I can only advocate change and hope to educate others.

People fetishize Asian women by dressing up in Japanese school girl outfits and infantilizing Korean pop idols and Asian actors. There is also this stereotype that Asians of the Eastern and Pacific Islands are “cute” and that Asian women are submissive. This only adds to the sexualization of the Asian population of the Eastern and Pacific Islands.

The sexualization of women and children on the internet has got worse with age.

People seem more comfortable showing their intentions and disgusting opinions about women and their sexuality when they hide behind a username and screen.

Education gap

I think the education system leaves out a large part of women’s health and sexuality. We are not taught anything in sex education (other than how to use a sanitary napkin). It creates an obvious stigma and ignorance about what a woman “should be”.

Women are called ugly names when trying to express their sexuality.

At a young age we are told to be careful what we wear because boys become boys and cannot control themselves. Men sometimes complain that they are “friend zoned” (someone who is considered more of a platonic friend by someone they like). But no one realizes what it feels like when men just want to be your friend in hopes of making something sexual out of it.

I remember going to middle school and telling people I was Asian. The self-proclaimed “popular kids” started talking to me almost immediately, but it didn’t take long. I felt like the “wrong” Asian for her.

It feels like not many Indonesians live in Winnipeg. Aside from my family, the only other Indonesian I met was my 9th grade gymnastics teacher. He recognized my family’s name on the back of my sweater.

According to the 2016 federal census, only 21,395 Indonesians lived in Canada.

At the same census in 2016, indigenous peoples made up 4.9 percent of Canada’s population, with nearly 1.7 million people.

Growing up, I never learned anything about my background or Canada’s shameful past.– KC Lee

As an indigenous person (Ojibwe from Rolling River First Nation), I feel uncomfortable knowing that I am a minority in my home country.

How much longer until 4.9 percent will shrink because how many indigenous women are missing or murdered?

How long do we have a home in Canada when such a large portion of Winnipeg’s homeless population is indigenous?

Confused as white

I used to be thought white and I admit it made me feel good to know that I am not as visibly Indonesian or Indigenous as my family.

I was ashamed of my last name because it revealed my father’s side. As a kid, I was afraid of being hurt or taken advantage of because Tina Fontaine’s name was in the news then.

My heart is with her and her family. I didn’t want to suffer the same fate as so many other young indigenous girls.

However, growing up I never learned anything about my background or Canada’s shameful past.

I know that I am the only thing stopping me from fully expressing my interests and potential as a lawyer. I work hard on myself and hope to be able to help others who feel the same way.

You don’t know my story – this is just the beginning. I hope to share more of this as I find my life path and learn more about myself.



source https://dailyhealthynews.ca/sexualization-stereotypes-and-shame-a-biracial-winnipeg-teen-reflects-on-the-world-shes-grown-up-in/

No comments:

Post a Comment