Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Joe Wicks Is on a Mission to Make Us All Happy as Well as Healthy

Joe Wicks is not a man with humble ambitions. When Men’s Health last spoke to him, two months after the initial lockdown – and the cultural touchstone that sport was with Joe – his stated goal was “to be the person who will completely change the health of the nation.”

It was a huge goal. Still, it’s hard to deny that he’s making good progress. With 2.8 million YouTube subscribers, 3.2 million cookbook sales, a multi-million dollar training app and an MBE, the 34-year-old roofer son from Epsom has exceeded expectations less than it has exceeded.

Now he has a different ambition: to make the nation happier. With a new role as Lululemon’s ambassador, Wicks aims to teach his followers to use exercise as a tool to improve their feelings, not just change their looks. MH sat down with the body coach to find out more.

Men’s health: You have made a name for yourself as a body coach. Now you want to shift your focus from the physical to the psychological. Why the change?

Joe Wicks: I don’t think it was a conscious decision. It was more of an observation. The more people I’ve worked together – the thousands of people making my plans, my YouTube workouts – the more I realized that what they celebrate most is not the before and after, but the story behind it. I’ve started to really adjust to it. I thought, “Let’s reinforce it. Let’s really shine a light. “

I know I still share the before and after pictures. People say, “Why are you sharing them? If it’s all about the mind, why are you still focusing on the body? ”Some people really like these transformations. They like to see a body shape that might look like theirs, something to go for. But overall, I’m really trying to highlight the testimonial written below – and it’s always about how people feel. It’s about how they overcame anxiety, certain illnesses, or depression. We need to talk more about this because that’s what keeps you coming back. The reason we keep exercising is because we feel good.

MH: M.More and more people are talking about the mental health benefits of exercise. Why is this conversation taking place now?

Jehovah’s Witnesses: I’m not a psychologist, but I really believe in the power of movement. We know exercise can really help when you are feeling down, stressed, or anxious. Maybe not permanently. It’s a temporary boost. But after a workout, when you feel a little more positive – this can, in some cases, save someone’s life.

I’m not the only man talking about mental health. So many people came out and talked openly about their experiences. I think it made other people think, “If Stormzy went through it …” or whoever it is. It helps people with similar problems to talk about it.

I think people suffered more than ever during the lockdown. Whether you like to admit it or not, we are all concerned. From not seeing our friends and family to being separated from our social networks, it has affected us.

MH: Are you concerned about the nation’s mental health after last year? Do you feel responsible?

Jehovah’s Witnesses: I’m worried. It’s something I think about. I am in contact with so many people through social media. I am aware of the energy of the nation. I am aware that people have a hard time. That’s why I always encourage communication, talk about how you feel. I did an Instagram Live that made me cry. I did not want to. But I got messages afterward from people saying they were relieved that I showed this page, that it’s okay to be emotional.

I don’t feel responsible for it, but I have the opportunity to help people. That’s why I work as hard as I do. What I did exercise with Joe was the first time a lot of people started exercising at home. I really made it accessible. Hopefully by now people will realize that it doesn’t take a lot of time to feel good about yourself. You can incorporate it into your day. And exercising with Joe was completely free. Wealthy people, people in one-room apartments and social housing – everyone could take part.

You can read the rest of our interview with Joe Wicks in the July issue of Men’s Health. Out now.


Scarlett Wrench is the Features Editor for Men’s Health, specializing in food and nutrition, mental health, science and technology.

This content is created and maintained by a third party provider and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may find more information on this and similar content at piano.io



source https://dailyhealthynews.ca/joe-wicks-is-on-a-mission-to-make-us-all-happy-as-well-as-healthy/

No comments:

Post a Comment